Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Preparing For Winter

Another week has slipped by quickly.  Even this late in the year there is still lots of work on the farm.  Right now Andy is working on pulling up the drip lines and taking out the irrigation system.  They are just in garden clean up mode for the winter.  There are also hundreds of tomato stakes to pull out and put away.  The best part about it all has been the weather.  With the warmer, sunny says they have been able to get a lot accomplishes.

There is still a nice patch of Chinese cabbage coming on as well as some regular turnips and carrots.  The cauliflower and regular cabbage might have been planted too late.  It all depends on the weather if we are going to see any in our boxes in the coming weeks.  Also in the greenhouse there is a batch of lettuce that has already been harvested.

onions, garlic, squash, 'special' radishes, Chinese cabbage

Moses Update:  His hands are healing nicely.  And he had very little pain.  His left hand is pretty much back to normal.  They keep his right hand wrapped up.  It has to be redressed twice a day with B&W ointment and burdock leaves.  All the redressing takes about 45 minutes each time.  Moses really is not a fan.  In the note I got from  Lizzie today...the dressing changes use to take 60 minutes.  I can only imagine how hard it was for them all.  Lizzie's brother, Adam, helps with the redressing...which they are very, very thankful for.

This weekend I am hoping to make a visit to the farm and I will get more information on B&W ointment and burdock leaves, pictures too I hope.  I have to be honest, I have been trying some new Amish remedies.  I now swear by jewel weed for poison ivy.  I am going to ask Lizzie what she uses for sinus infections/sinus pressure because I have tried everything that I can think of and I am miserable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We are glad that you stopped in to check us out. Please leave a comment and tell us what you think. Have you had any experience with CSA?