Wednesday, November 11, 2015

I'm Such A Slow Learner

The oldest  of John and Anna's children are bilingual.  They speak Pennsylvania Dutch and English.  Once the children enter school they learn English.  It is fun to watch them go back ad forth between the two.  So we have decided that I should learn some Amish words.  Here is my homework list...

cat.....katz
chicken.....hingel
cow.....kuh
dog.....hund
hat.....huet
tomatoes.....tumatus
sheep.....shof
horse.....gol
tree.....baum
laundry.....vesh
rooster.....hauna
boys.....bauh

In my 'Amish' mail taped to the top of my strawberry jam jar I find a note.  At the end you will see  that Anna is getting in on the 'teach the English lady some Pennsylvania Dutch words' game.  And I love how she puts the signs above the vowels so I will know what sound they make.

Vel ich musz gay!
translation
Well, I must go!

It took me some time but I figured out most of the words.  Ich threw me.


           

No comments:

Post a Comment

We are glad that you stopped in to check us out. Please leave a comment and tell us what you think. Have you had any experience with CSA?