Tuesday, May 1, 2012

First Box Of The 2012 Season!!!

I have been on pins and needles all day waiting for Justin to come with our first box of the season.  He snuck in on me and I didn't realize he came until Michael came in off the bus and told me that the porch was full of boxes.  YEA!  We have four new families picking up from this location.

I am excited for the new season and for all the people that have joined the CSA.  I am excited for all the new members to experience the excitement of opening their CSA boxes each week.  Andy is glad to see returning customers and thrilled to have new customers.  It is hard to believe that this is the fifth year of the Cedarmore Farm CSA.  I know that I have learned so much from Andy and Lizzie and can't wait to see what is in store next!  And I know that Andy and Lizzie appreciate your feedback...it only makes the CSA better.

For all those new customers, I want to let you know that Andy writes a newsletter the week before the boxes are actually filled.  Lizzie chooses a recipe for Recipe Of The Week to go along with the newsletter.  Just so there is no confusion or scratching of heads wondering how we get a typed newsletter from an Amish family.  It is simple.  Andy and Lizzie write out what they have to say in longhand and then Andy takes it to a neighbor and the neighbor then types it up, prints copies and takes them back down to Cedarmore Farm for it to be folded and placed in our boxes.  Because Andy has to write the letter a week in advance he may not be entirely accurate about what is in our boxes.  But he does his best.

At the time Andy wrote the newsletter for this week, he was expecting to fill the first box of the season with a bag of spicy greens, some lettuce, radishes, a bunch of green onions and some asparagus and zucchini.  There wasn't enough asparagus and zucchini for everyone this time.  But not to worry, Andy keeps a list and he will get us the next time around.  He tries really had to do his best to make sure that we are all treated fairly and get our fair share.

Just  reminder to be sure to bring back your empty boxes (please break them down), egg cartons and glass canning jars.  Also please make sure to keep the homes where you pick up nice and tidy.  And it makes it tons easier for Justin, the driver, to repack his van for the trip back to Cedarmore.  Andy is low on egg cartons and canning jars.  If you would like to help out with the expenses, please send any other cartons and jars from others places.  Right now they are running low on egg cartons.

Andy and Lizzie are excited for the new season and are very thankful for all you support. And I am glad that you take the time to read the blog.  We all would love to hear you comments and read your feedback.  We are here to make this a win win for all of us.  If ever you would like to get in touch with Andy and Lizzie you can email the neighbor down the road at
cedarmorefarm@TDISP.com  or just drop them an note in the box that you will be returning and Justin will make sure that your note is delivered.

 Enjoy all your fresh produce and other goodies!

I tried to watch out for Justin and his children today, but they were too quiet and quick for me.  This year I have five families that will make the weekly trip to our house to pick up their boxes.  I met the Koblish's tonight.  I am hoping to meet all the families.  And I can not wait to talk to them about the CSA.

Our first box of goodness!  And I do love those brown eggs.  And Emmy informed me that I need to get the recipe for the Monster cookies.  Delicious!

Two nice zucchini (yum), green onion (I love), field greens (I am learning to love), bread and butter pickles (Mark loves), parsley (Emmy will find some use for), butter crunch or butter head lettuce (new to me) and buried deep are some radishes (one will be a treat for the rabbit).

Did I say delicious!

Hopefully I will be able to get Lizzie's recipe to share with everyone.  Yummy, peanut buttery, chocolate chippie, oatmeal heaven.

4 comments:

  1. Do you or Andy/Lizzie have a recommendation on how to prepare the field greens? Perhaps a recommended dressing or what to eat them with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, they aren't my favorites either that is until i had them on day at the farm. Lizzie drizzles honey and then adds greens a little more honey and more greens. And then she mixes everything up really good. sometimes she adds a little lemon juice or olive oil.

      Delete
  2. Just to make sure - this week's delivery is only for those who were smart enough to make the original deadline for the All season's share, right? The rest of us slow pokes have to wait until the first week of June, correct?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are correct. If you need a definite answer please email Rue at cedarmorefarm@TDISP.com for I know he can give you the correct answer. He has all of it written down.

      Delete

We are glad that you stopped in to check us out. Please leave a comment and tell us what you think. Have you had any experience with CSA?