Tuesday, August 2, 2011

How It All Works

Well, maybe not all of it. 

I had asked Andy and Lizzy if I could come out to the farm on a day when they were packing the CSA boxes. I was thinking early...like before the sun came up. No way, they had me come at 8:30AM.

I was thinking that I would be helping get the vegetables out of the fields and helping to clean them to get them ready for the CSA boxes.  All that work was done by the time I got there.  Everything was all nice and tidy, organized and ready to go.  Everything had a place.

The table was lined with tomatoes that were as red and a hummingbirds neck and almost too big for me to hold in my hand..  On the opposite side of the room were bins of the other vegetables.

The peppers were separated according to color.  And the smell...made my mouth water.  See the vegetable basket in the bottom right corner?  Lizzy would fill it up with just the right number of peppers to fill the baskets.  I think we filled close to 50 baskets today.  When Moses was fussy I got to fill the boxes with peppers.  If I was really quick I was able to put in the newsletter.  But if I hesitated for one second...I lost my job.  They were all business...no fooling around.

Each box is lined up on a bench according to pick-up location.  Each box has to be labeled with pick-up location and customer name.  Andy has a clipboard with all the information hanging on the wall just in case he forgets what he is doing.   I would probably have to carry it around with me at all time because I wouldn't be able to remember it all.

Bags filled with onions hang along with garlic out in the back by the barn.

Just as I was leaving, Jesse and his family pulled up.  He is the driver that delivers the CSA boxes all over the area.

I had a great and interesting time.  I understand a little more bout the CSA and how it all works.  Seems to run very smooth. 

Be sure to share the blog and the link to the CSA with your friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We are glad that you stopped in to check us out. Please leave a comment and tell us what you think. Have you had any experience with CSA?