Tuesday, September 10, 2013

A Little Twist To Things

I can tell you that the weather is dry last week has dried out everything on the farm.  When I drove up last week a huge cloud of dust enveloped me as I got out of the van.  Andy has started using the irrigation system...now running the pump around the clock...which he really doesn't like to do.  The good thing is that this summer it has been wet or damp enough that they haven't had to run it much.  The report is that the fall crops like sweet potatoes and winter squash are looking good.  While the summer crops are about to wind down.

Do I see strawberries?

When I talked to Andy lst weekend he was telling me that he thought the eggs might run low this week.  I could tell by the amount of chicken in the egg mobile that we would be running a little short this week.  But Andy and Lizzie saved the day for me.  My grandson called me a few weeks ago and told me that he had an emergency...they were out of strawberry jam.  I was supposed to get some when I went to the farm last weekend...but I forgot.  So I was so glad to find a jar waiting for me instead of eggs this week.   Thank you Andy and Lizzie!
 
More About The Growing Methods
 
Andy has mentioned before that this year they are trying some newer techniques on the farm.  He would rather not but sometimes an old dog needs to learn a few new tricks.  He would prefer to use the tried and true growing methods that generations of Hersberger's have used.  He has finally come to the conclusion that by combining these new ways...we get the best of both worlds in our organic produce that is grown at Cedarmore.  They will continue to use cover crops, lime, compost like they have been doing since starting the farm.  Then they will be fine tuning things by checking the Brix and the plant sap PH and then adding the missing elements.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We are glad that you stopped in to check us out. Please leave a comment and tell us what you think. Have you had any experience with CSA?