Tuesday, May 3, 2011

First CSA Box

     Welcome to my first box of veggies for 2011.  It is with mixed feelings that Cedarmore Farm begins this 2011 season.  They  are glad to get the season started, but with all the rains that we are having things are off to a slow start.  The supply of vegetables is not looking as good as they would like to see it, but they are hopeful that things will pick up in a few weeks.  Rain is needed and good, but this much rain slows crops from maturing.  They are including a jar of Maple Syrup in our boxes to help make up for the low yields.  This maple Syrup is made from the Maple Sap that we gathered from the trees in their woods.
     Our first box this year contains lettuce, kale, a bag of mixed greens, garlic, wild ramsons, and of course the jar of syrup.  The ramsons were gathered in the nearby woods.  They can be eaten in salads or just about any way you might eat garlic, although there are milder than garlic.
     Please bring your empty boxes back to your pick up location when you come to pick up your next box of veggies.  Also, please to try to keep things neat when you drop off your empty box and pick up your new one.  Remember that your pick up location is at someone else's house.  I'm sure they will appreciate it if you keep things tidy. 
As you can see we are taking part in the egg share also.  I love brown eggs.  The yellows are so much more yellow than 'regular white' eggs.  We also got a jar of canned tomato chunks.   There were a few things that we are not sure about...so I looked them up.
As I stated before, I had to look up some of these veggie...I'm a city (wanta-be-country girl) girl.  I noticed that we had several comments about the vegetables that were in the CSA boxes.  I thought I knew what I had in mine but I was wrong.  So I emailed pictures to Cedarmore Farm and ask for help.

wild ramsons...
Ramsons (Allium ursinum) (also known as buckrams, wild garlic, broad-leaved garlic, wood garlic or bear's garlic) is a wild relative of chives. The Latin name is due to the brown bear's taste for the bulbs and its habit of digging up the ground to get at them; they are also a favorite of wild boar.

kale

green garlic

lettuce

baby mix salad greens

Hope this helps.  I will try to identify each weeks contents to the best of my ability.


7 comments:

  1. So the note in the box said garlic but we didn't have any. I don't see any in your picture so I'm assuming there really wasn't any in this box? Keep up the posts, they are great!

    -Josh in Milford

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dale in MontgomeryMay 4, 2011 at 6:53 AM

    I had emailed Andy because I didn't know which were the ramsons and which were the wild garlic. I also looked ramsons up on the internet! They are the ones with the white bulb and slender stalks. I sliced one into slivers and added it to a salad. I thought the thicker stalks were leeks too. But Andy said those are wild garlic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dale in MontgomeryMay 4, 2011 at 7:09 AM

    Oops. Read my email from Andy again. The thicker stalks are green garlic....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the post Dale, that clears up my "garlic" question.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So the edible part of the ramson is the bulb?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emily...I checked for you...Ramsons leaves are edible; they can be used as salad, spice,[2] boiled as a vegetable,[3] in soup, or as an ingredient for pesto in lieu of basil. The stems are preserved by salting and eaten as a salad in Russia. The bulbs and flowers are also very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jan,

    How do I go about buying a quart of that yummy maple syrup?

    ReplyDelete

We are glad that you stopped in to check us out. Please leave a comment and tell us what you think. Have you had any experience with CSA?