Thursday, July 11, 2013

A Request From CSA Member

I received an email a week or so ago from one of the CSA members.

'My name is Judy and I am a member of the Cedarmore CSA now for two years  I just love the program and I find your blog entries for them are very helpful and fun.  I would love to know 'storage' information for some of these wonderful veggies that we get.  I rec'd two boxes this week due to vacation last week, and now I find myself with too many beets and probably too many onions.  I would love to know the correct way to store some of these veggies so they don't spoil before I use them.  I read that if I cut the greens off of the beets and store them whole in a plastic bag they will last longer in the fridge.  Not sure if the onions can be stored in dry storage or they have to be kept in the fridge as well.

Just a thought, if you know any of this type of useful information, you should include it now and then in your blog.' 
 
So far this is what I have come up with.  But I will be sure that Andy gives us some storage answers.
 
Beets:  To store beets, trim the leaves 2 inches from the root (kind of give them a buzz cut) as soon as you get them.  The leaves will zip the moisture from the beet root.  Do not trim the tail,  Store the leaves in a separate plastic bag and use within two days.  The root bulb (the beet) should also be baggies and can be stored in the refrigerator drawer for 7 to 10 days.
 
Onions: Store in a mesh bag in a cool place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We are glad that you stopped in to check us out. Please leave a comment and tell us what you think. Have you had any experience with CSA?