Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Community Support

The weather is pretty cool in Ohio these days.  That means the produce is slowing down.  Crops like tomatoes and peppers need the sun and the heat to grow and ripen. Andy is hoping that the fall crops will start to ripen soon.

Not only is farming top priority at Cedarmore but helping out the community and family comes in at a close second.  This week he helped his brother-in-law get  building ready to move onto his property.  Most of the Amish community will also be there to help.  So he is hoping that he old saying...many hands make light work...holds true.

Some beautiful lettuce, green tomatoes, onions, a few sweet potatoes, a bag of greens, a butternut squash (I think) and ....I asked Rue, a farmer down the road from Cedarmore, last week if the paw paws were ripe yet.  He said he would check and let me know and if there were any he would make sure they got into my box.  Oh, they smell wonderful!  I could smell them before I even opened the box.   I am going to try a new Paw Paw cookie recipe and I will let you know who wonderful they were.  Might even share the recipe later.

But back on the farm...Andy wants to educate us all in the ways he farms on Cedarmore.  We have been learning about soil prep and he seems to think that maybe he made it sound way to easy.  They have problems with diseases and insects just a s the rest of us newbie farmers do. But that there have been times when he thinks they are doing a really good job keeping things under control and they still have to deal with it all.  They sometimes have to use some products but what is used on Cedarmore has been approved by the National Organic Program.  I am sure that he will be telling us more about that later on in the season when things slow down even more.

If you read this blog and you would like to know more about the Cedarmore CSA or if you have questions about Organic farming done the Amish way, please feel free to drop Andy, Lizzie and the workers a line.   I am sure they would love to hear from you.  It may take a few days for them to get your email from their non-Amish/English friend down the road but they will get back to you.  Or if you have any questions for me about how I write the blog...contact me at itsahoot24@aol.com.  We all would love to hear from you.  We live for the comments that are left on the blog.  It is nice to know that someone is reading the blog.  And along the way we hope that you are learning some new things about the Amish way of live and organic farming.

Cedarmorefarm@tdisp.com
  

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I just wanted to let you know that I do read this blog and love that you share all the updates electronically. Sometimes you post the picture of the week's share on here before I get to pick mine up and so it's like peeking before Christmas :P.

    I have a food blog where I share recipes that I make. I've tried some of the newsletter recipes and many others, too. You can see what I do with all my veggies by looking at my "CSA share" tag at http://christineskitchenchronicles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this CSA on localharvest.org and then did a search of the farm name on Google and happened to run across this blog. It definitely sold me on the CSA and I signed up for the fall share--keep up the good work! Maybe the link could be put on localharvest.org?

    ReplyDelete

We are glad that you stopped in to check us out. Please leave a comment and tell us what you think. Have you had any experience with CSA?