Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Meet The John Zook's

Last Saturday I headed to Pigeon Roost Road in Hillsboro to talk with John and meet Anna and the kids. I needed to get a look at what was going on at Cedarmore and meet my new Amish family.  For some this may be a little confusing so I will try to explain.
 
John and Anna (Andy Hershberger's twin sister) Zook and their seven children will be taking over the Cedarmore CSA at their farm formally known as Hickory Haven.  Their farm on Pigeon Ridge Road is now Cedarmore CSA.
 
My GPS found it with no problem and I don't think it will take me anytime at all to remember how to get there...not too many turns.  You can see it from the main road before you turn on Pigeon Ridge Road.

It had snowed in Hillsboro the night before so I really wasn't sure where the driveway was so I just pulled in and parked.  John was on the front porch sweeping in his sock feet.  Anna had already done laundry.

I always like going into an Amish home because it always is so warm, smells so good, and is filled with kids.  The house is almost laid out like The Andy's...just a bit bigger. Same white walls with blue trim and dark blue curtains.  It felt familiar.  And I was glad for that.  And then there were the kids!  All seven of them gathered around the table to look at this crazy English woman that had come to visit.  I had Anna write down all the names and birthdays...sorta like a little cheat sheet for me and a way for me to learn their names quickly.
 
Ivy who just turned 11 on Monday of this week
Andrew (called Andy) who will be 10 this year in September.
Leah will be 8 in June.
Henry turns a big 7 in October.
Enos (He could be Dennis's twin) will celebrate 5 years on the earth.
Rachel (the shy one) will be three at the end of November this year.
Rhonda will be celebrating her first birthday in mid December this year.
John and Anna are in their mid 30's.

This is one fancy outhouse.  Haven't had the opportunity to visit yet but I am sure the chance will arise during one of my visits when it get warmer outside.  (Too cold for this Englisher)
  
I was able to get a little information from John and Anna about their background. They moved to Hillsboro from Wayne County about two years ago in April.  They own about 30 acres that includes  6 acres of woods and the rest is pasture and farming.  About 20acres of it could be used for farming but for now not all of that will be used.  John says for as long as he can remember he has been a farmer.  There was a little bit of time that he was away from farming but he came back and has been at it ever since.
 
We had a nice visit and I got to walk the farm and see the livestock, the greenhouses, the new pond, and again I came away knowing more that I did when I came.  Which is always a good thing.  I'm looking forward to going back soon.

2 comments:

  1. I love visiting your blog! We live in the area, and I love to read about your experiences, the Amish friends, and the CSA. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amanda. I glad to know that someone reads the blog!

      Delete

We are glad that you stopped in to check us out. Please leave a comment and tell us what you think. Have you had any experience with CSA?