Saturday, January 21, 2012

A Few Minor Setbacks

Like other places around the country, we are experiencing some really unpredictable weather.  I never really thought about it but since I have come to know Andy and Lizzy and the CSA, I find myself checking the weather almost daily.  Next I will probably be checking the Almanac.  I wonder if the farmers get a break after the crops are all harvested.  I'm thinking that winter might be a time for then to get a little well deserved rest.  But I have come to find out that is not how it goes.  I got a letter from Lizzy two days ago and they are certainly busy.

 While Lizzy was writing to me the strong winds, rain, and sleet tore the greenhouse plastic.  So now on top of everything else they have to do on a daily basis the greenhouse needs to be repaired.  While I am cozy and all set up in our nice warn, dry house where the fridge is full and the kids are well, I get an Amish reality check...last week the 'did' their pork, then Lizzy's brother will be down to help them with their beef...Lizzy and Moses are struggling with ear infections that are so very painful...the daily routine of getting wood in and all the farm chores...No quick trip to Kroger or jumping in the warmed van to go to the doctor's office or even turning up the thermostat to make it warmer.

Hopefully in a week or two I will be able to go out and visit.  Think I might make some playdough and watercolors for the kids to have to play with.  And maybe some of my chicken noodle soup and a candybar pie so Lizzie will have something on hand...ease her load a little.

If you might know someone that would be interested in the CSA please forward this site to them.  Check Cedarmore Farm out on Local Harvest to read reviews from customers.  Help Andy and Lizzy grow their farm so more of us can eat healthier and spread the word about organic farming.

Knowing Andy and Lizzy sure has made me think of the blessing we have.  And how 'spoiled' we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We are glad that you stopped in to check us out. Please leave a comment and tell us what you think. Have you had any experience with CSA?